Winter is throwing its last tantrum before it will suddenly become spring and we will no longer talk about how much winter has been a bitch where I live. I can’t always just get drunk to drown my sorrows, so I made chili.
I’m just kidding, of course I got drunk too.
This week has been incredibly hectic because, after 20 years, I finally finished that k-drama I started. It was horrible. I lost so many hours to those beautiful men, wasted away my youth, and literally nothing in the show up until the end mattered. Nothing. It was just a bunch of random stuff and then they realized they should probably just end it and then they did. It was beautiful.
Sorry, I’m still drunk.
To say that I phoned it in with this week’s blog would be an understatement. I had been planning this recipe for about a month. I took one picture. Here it is:
Anyway, I adapted a Betty Crocker slow cooker chili recipe to be vegan. It retains all the flavor of the meat infused one, but is a lot healthier in the sense that I didn’t have to go out and buy extra cans of chili beans because I didn’t want to go shopping. I also just cooked it on the stove top, but I would recommend putting it in a slow cooker for 8 hours to really get the recipe correct.
Slow Cooker Vegan Chili to Replace your Housemate on a Cold Night (adapted from Betty Crocker)
- 1 onion (or use onion powder like I did because you don’t have an onion)
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, minced (again… powder works too)
- 1 28oz can diced tomatoes (or 2 smaller cans)
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can pinto or kidney beans, drained and rinsed (use whatever you have on hand because that’s what I did)
- 1/2 cup red lentils, rinsed
- 4 cups frozen and cubed butternut squash (I used a small baby bag from a giant mommy bag from Costco)
- 1 can tomato sauce
- 2 TBSP chili powder
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
If you’re using real onion and garlic, sauté those in a pan with a teaspoon of oil for a few minutes until translucent. Otherwise, add all the ingredients to the slow cooker, stir, and set to cook on low for 8 hours. Eat with crackers and Beano.
There was no love in this post so I guess the title was a lie. But now you can make lazy chili.
Everyone was related in the show,